The Finger Lakes are dotted with beautiful properties (like ours!) where you can unwind while designing an itinerary all your own. You don’t need a retreat center with a set schedule of activities -- instead, book a stay with us for stunning views and accessibility to all of the places you’d want to visit to relax and recharge - spas, wineries, farm to table restaurants, parks, and more.
If you’re looking for a retreat to write your book, gather your thoughts, or rejuvenate yourself, here are some tips on how you can design your own while making the most of your stay in the Finger Lakes.
It all starts with the accommodations. Choose somewhere to stay that is close enough to everything you’d like to visit yet far enough away from noise and distractions so that you don’t feel rushed or interrupted on your own private retreat. Our vacation rentals around Seneca Lake are a perfect fit. They’re conveniently located so you can easily get to wineries, breweries, restaurants, state parks, and more -- but still far enough removed from it all that you can just enjoy the quiet stillness of nature. No traffic. No email pings. Just the peace and quiet you’ve been seeking.
In designing your retreat -- whether it’s to work on a creative project or just reset -- think about the activities that are going to help you accomplish your goal. Or better yet, think about the things that are going to make you feel the best!
Make a schedule for yourself that’s loose but still gives you enough structure so that you know what you’re doing. For example, let’s say you’re planning a retreat to recover from major work burnout. You’re feeling maxed out and are taking a weekend to get yourself right again.
Here’s what a sample day might look like after you’ve checked in for your stay:
- Wake up surrounded by quiet. Meditate and journal. Reflect on what you’re feeling right now and set an intention for how you’d like to feel at the end of your retreat.
- Grab breakfast at a local spot (we have tons of recommendations to share when you check-in!).
- After breakfast, enjoy a leisurely walk along the shoreline of Seneca Lake, or simply sit by the water's edge. Think about where your work/life balance is feeling stretched. Imagine what your schedule might look like if you took something off your plate. What would that thing be? How can you take steps to make that happen?
- In the afternoon, breathe deep in a yoga class or on a hike through one of the parks. Use this time to find stillness. Grab lunch or take yourself on a picnic. Enjoy a wine tasting. Read a book for pleasure. Do whatever feels good. This is your time.
- Grab dinner at a farm-to-table restaurant and be mindful of how good it feels to nourish your body. Set an intention to find more ways to nourish your body and mind. Watch the sunset. Reflect on what you’re most grateful for.
- Retire back to your accommodations to relax and get a good night’s sleep. Turn off your phone. Turn off your computer. Let yourself drift off in the stillness.
There isn't just one set way to plan a retreat. If you’re looking for inspiration on how to set up yours, here are some helpful resources that can help you get started:
And when you’re ready, be sure to book with us! We can’t wait to host you.