No matter what the season, there’s always something to do in the FLX. If you’ve never visited before or are just starting to think about how you’d like to plan your next trip to this incredible region of New York, consider timing your visit for fall. It’s such an incredible season and offers so much for any visitor. We’d hate to pick a favorite season -- they’re all amazing! -- but there’s something special about autumn.
Looking for a reason to escape? Here are 7 for why you should plan a trip for autumn in the Finger Lakes:
1. It’s all about the foliage. The Finger Lakes are home to many natural wonders, including a variety of trees along its landscapes and within its forests. You can hike, drive, and even boat past some showstopping colors in autumn. We recommend visiting in the first two weeks of October to get the best view of the changing leaves.
2. Take your pick. U-Pick farms can be found all throughout the FLX region, so there are plenty of opportunities to pick pumpkins, apples, or grapes when you visit in fall. Many orchards also offer incredible homemade pies, jams, jellies, and ciders for you to take home, too!
3. Celebrate the season. Events offer a great way for visitors to get a taste -- both literally and figuratively! -- of what it’s like to live in the Finger Lakes. Some of our favorite fall festivals include The Naples Grape Festival, The Corning Museum’s Glass Harvest, The Naples Open Studio Trail, and The Sunflower Farm Festival.
4. Get scared! If you love visiting haunted attractions in autumn, the FLX offers a variety of spooky stops that will appear to both thrill seekers and history buffs. There are museums to visit, ghost tours, hayrides, and more. And, just a short drive from the Seneca Lake area is Tagsylvania, one of the Southern Tier’s most popular haunted attractions.
5. Hit the road. Driving is an awesome way to experience all the Finger Lakes have to offer. Take a scenic drive through state parks, around the lakes, or between towns to take in the landscape, especially when it’s lit up in brilliant fall colors! Speaking of driving, if you love cars and are visiting in September, you can catch the Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix Weekend at The Glen!
6. Get back in touch with nature. One of the biggest reasons why folks come to this part of upstate New York is to get back in touch with nature and in fall, the landscape is truly a sight to see. If you love to be active while outdoors, the FLX offers options for boating, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, cycling and more -- all of which are great before the weather starts to turn! Or, if you’d rather keep things low key, know that you’ll have your pick of spots to watch for wildlife in any of our state parks.
7. Enjoy the harvest! The fall is harvest season and that means plenty of chances to sample the fine wines, spirits, and brews that the FLX are known for while also catching a behind the scenes look. You might visit a winery and see the actual process of harvesting grapes or attend a workshop with winemakers to learn about how it goes from grape to glass. Need recommendations on which wineries to visit? We can suggest some of our favorites on the Seneca Lake Wine Trail!
Now these are just some of the reasons why you’d want to visit the Finger Lakes in fall, but if you need more suggestions -- or want help planning your trip -- let us know and we’d be happy to recommend some additional must-sees and dos on your escape. When you check in with us, you’ll also receive a comprehensive guide that includes where we love to eat, drink, and play while in the Finger Lakes.
Ready to escape to the Finger Lakes this fall? We can’t wait to see you!